Liquid Etchings
Wednesday, August 24, 2005
Weird Musical Headspace
The tune I've been humming all day is a medley of The Turtles "So Happy Together" with "The Age of Aquarious/Let The Sunshine In." But the inclusion of "Build Me Up Buttercup" by the Foundations is the one that surprises me the most. I've made a conscious effort for the past few years to block that out of my mind, primarily because it was associated with a certain ex-girlfriend. I do a good job of associating songs with memories, and there are some memories I'd rather not jog.

By the same token, I can't stand Van Morrison's "Brown Eyed Girl", the movie "Shakespeare in Love", or any Whitney Houston song. And I'll only mention They Might Be Giants in passing. This is another example of me bottling up my emotions so that they can surprise (!) me at a later date; except it will be no surprise when I discover at that later date that memories have a life of their own.

Memory moprhs. Memory breathes. It lives and dies and is reborn in different shapes and flavors and soon Memory becomes distinctly separate from History. I forget History sometimes. And that's bad. So I guess humming this catchy tune is my small, small way of beating Memory back into submission. Memory runs. Memory fades. It lives and dies and is reborn in different shapes and flavors and soon all you're left with is a song and a story.
Etched by Ron / 8/24/2005 03:13:00 PM |
There exists a version
of myself that chose wisely, that saved the day, that won, that got it right. I am his approximation. I've rounded down.
Links
I Left My Wallet In El Segundo
Asleep From Day
Pimpin' Theory
Ben's Blog
Ideals and Impossibilities
Diary of a Mad Black Man
Mass Hysteria
Cheater Five
Achtung Baby!
Towle Road
No Milk Please
PostSecret
Blagg Blogg
Eric D. Snider
Dack.com
Etc
RSS 2.0 Comment Feed
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
Flickr Statcounter
Main Page
It's hard for the crowd to give ear to the anguish of a soul slowly fading