Liquid Etchings
Tuesday, August 02, 2005
A Vague Sense of Accomplishment
There's a white ghost draping over my Thousand Oaks morning, taking me by the collar like a thick cone of silence. Waking up at 6am is fine as long as you set the alarm for 5am and let me snooze for an hour. Sleepily entering and subsequently exiting the shower is like driving home when you're tired: you emerge afterwards and wonder "Did I just do that?" And then you remember that your subconscious kicks in every now and then to get you through mundane tasks like cleansing one's self and taking the right exits off the freeway. Thanks, brain, for watching out for me.

I did get a few things done yesterday, which not insignificantly includes the procurement of one (1) valid California driver's license. But because all the rest were minor in comparison (I finally returned the tux pants; I meant to do it on Sunday but I discovered that hangover plus turkey sandwich equals long nap), I thought I'd share a little bit from the wedding, which will provide me with a solid week's worth of material.

The preacher reminded me a lot of my father ranting to his teenage sons. Not lecturing, not reprimanding. Just a guy with a thick Filipino accent on a soapbox and an audience. He'd intersperse a "you know" every now and then in the middle of his homily, thereby ensuring that we divulge as much as possible from a study of theological text and enter the realm of full-on fill material. When my father was on one of his rants, he'd do so when the sons were in the living room trying to watch TV. And he'd stand in the middle of the living room where a mirror decorated the wall above the couch on which my brother and I sat. He had this funny way of not looking at us when he spouted off, but rather checked himself out in the mirror more than just periodically in order to see what he looked like delivering his micro-statesman address.

And sitting in the front pew, watching this guy perform the Catholic version of Whose Line Is It Anyway, I came to appreciate the practice my father took in expounding properly. My love of public speech came from him, a common trait for an Asian father to pass to his son (an Asian mother's gift? defiant domesticity).
Etched by Ron / 8/02/2005 06:39:00 AM |
There exists a version
of myself that chose wisely, that saved the day, that won, that got it right. I am his approximation. I've rounded down.
Links
I Left My Wallet In El Segundo
Asleep From Day
Pimpin' Theory
Ben's Blog
Ideals and Impossibilities
Diary of a Mad Black Man
Mass Hysteria
Cheater Five
Achtung Baby!
Towle Road
No Milk Please
PostSecret
Blagg Blogg
Eric D. Snider
Dack.com
Etc
RSS 2.0 Comment Feed
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
Flickr Statcounter
Main Page
It's hard for the crowd to give ear to the anguish of a soul slowly fading